Because I teach writing courses, I preach this over and over.
The Five most common mistakes:
- Realize that the first page is Vital. You have to give the reason to keep reading.
- Stop overwriting. Brevity is the Key.
- Character is the most important Element (that is why I teach a whole class on just this).
- Make something Happen. Every scene, every word should be driving the story forward.
- Get out of your story- Even if it is yours, you must create a character.
My friend the crazy Chuck Wendig has his own rant on the five most common problems and gives you his twisted yet poignant views below.
Chuck does the whole dance (with Expletives below)